You Can Participate in Drawing the Lines!
Why should you participate in redistricting, the process of setting new congressional and state legislative boundaries?
Because it is easy, it matters, and you only have this opportunity every ten years.
- Attend and comment at a virtual public meeting of the Commission: August 11, LA County; September 1, Orange County; September 8, All of Southern California. Details here.
- Electronically submit comments and maps.
Do not miss this once in a decade opportuntiy!
CITIZENS COMMISSION DESIGNING NEW CALIFORNIA LEGISLATIVE AND CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS FOR 2022
- All districts must have an equal population, which will be roughly 760,000 for each congressional district.
- Minorities, as provided by the 1965 Voting Rights Act, must have an equal chance to elect the public officials they favor.
- Division of counties, municipalities, neighborhoods and Communities of Interest needs to be minimized as much as possible.
- Unlike the Maryland congressional district mentioned earlier, California congressional districts need to be compact and contiguous with all parts of the district being connected to each other.