Angeles Chapter Water Committee Celebrates World Water Day March 22nd 2022
What is World Water Day?
The Water Committee tirelessly champions for water equity across the board, whether insisting on Tribal representation, fighting water rate hikes or disastrous harmful projects.
2021 was no exception. Allow me to share some highlights:
- We continue to oppose the Poseidon Ocean Desalination Project, we have written many articles that can be found on this website on this topic.
- With the aid of Sierra Club California staffer Caty Wagner, we continue our robust presence and mixed relationship with Metropolitan Water District (MWD) where we support local water projects and a bigger conservation budget but oppose the proposed Sites Reservoir and the Delta Conveyance.
- Played an outsized role in the selection of the GM and standing up for victims of harassment and abuse at MWD.
- We soundly defeated AB 1591 Garcia/Rendon, a bill that would seek to consolidate West Basin Municipal Water District, Central Basin Municipal Water District and Water Replenishment District.
- Brought about change at West Basin Municipal Water District, by keeping up constant pressure on the board to dismiss the GM
- With the outing of the GM - we won on a 3/2 vote thereby shutting down the proposed West Basin Ocean Desal Project
- The Biden Administration reverses the Trump ruling on Cadiz, once again setting the project back
- Submitted comments and collaborated with many of our community partners on projects and campaigns
- Along with our coalition partners won a victory at the CA Coastal Commission to include ocean desalination projects under the designation of critical water infrastructure
- We launched our new water website: socalwatersierraclub.org
- And we’re hoping to finalize the investigative report on the West Hollywood sub-basin, finalize and add a few more games to the water website and launch the Water Quality Scorecard
- We continue our focus on environmental and social justice in water equity and to that end we continue to foster relationships with Tribal communities
- Weekly volunteer Stop the Delta Tunnel Working Group meetings, with appreciation night games, hosted by Caty Wagner are a special treat, meeting every Wednesday at 6pm. RSVP here!
Charming is the Chair of the Angeles Chapter Water Committee and Co-Chair of the SierraClub CA Water Committee.