The Sierra Club Angeles Chapter presented the 2019 Extraordinary Environmental Leadership Awards to a selected group of public officials dedicated to preserving and protecting the environment. The awards were presented at the annual Sierra Club political fundraiser – 2020 Countdown to a Green Future – which was held at the Woman's Club in Orange.
These environmental heroes have worked and voted consistently to increase action, and awareness for conservation efforts in Los Angeles and Orange Counties. This year, our 2019 Extraordinary Environmental Leadership Award went to Awardee Felicia Marcus, and our 2019 Political Leadership Awards went to awardees – Santa Monica City Council represented by Mayor Gleam Davis and Council Member Greg Morena; Aliso Viejo Mayor Ross Chun; State Senator Connie Leyva; and Brea City Council Member Glenn Parker.
There was a good turnout for the event including previous honoree Claire Schlotterbeck and former Sierra Club Board Member Susanna Reyes.
Master of Ceremonies Beth Krom, former Irvine City Mayor, and past honoree introduced elected officials and dignitaries in attendance including Assembly Member Eloise Reyes, former Congress Member, and previous awardee Loretta Sanchez, former Senator Josh Newman, and Sierra Club California Director Kathryn Phillips, among others. Ms. Krom also recognized that the event was being held in the lands of the Tongva and Acjachemen people and inspired us to continue our efforts to elect environmental champions.
Ray Hiemstra and Frank Gruber, Angeles Chapter Political Committee Co-Chairs, spoke about our political work as did Bhavin Jindal of the San Gorgonio Chapter Political Committee. Activists on our political committees work at the local level to promote the election of environmentally sensitive candidates to public office by recommending endorsements to the Chapter Executive Committee, organizing support for endorsed candidates and maintaining a liaison with successful candidates after election.
Funds from the event are contributions to the California Sierra Club Political Action Committee (PAC) which funds political programs and activities geared towards electing pro-environmental candidates and protecting voters' rights.
Photos by Melanie Schlotterbeck:
1. Extraordinary Environmental Leadership Award Awardee Felicia Marcus (4th from left) and 2019 Political Leadership Awardees (L to R): Santa Monica City Council represented by Mayor Gleam Davis and Council Member Greg Morena, Aliso Viejo Mayor Ross Chun, State Senator Connie Leyva, Brea City Council Member Glenn Parker.
2. Sierra Club California Director Kathryn Phillips
3. Bhavin Jindal of the San Gorgonio Chapter Political Committee (R) and Enrique Valencia (L)
4. Previous Leadership Awardee Claire Schlotterbeck (R) with Orange County political committee member Stephanie Pacheco (L)
5. Former Sierra Club Board Member Susana Reyes (R) with politcal committee members Margee Hills and Joan Holtz with Don Holtz (L)
Master of Ceremonies, Beth Krom, former Irvine City Mayor
7. Awardees Santa Monica City Mayor Gleam Davis and Council Member Greg Morena (center) with Angeles Chapter political committee co-chairs Frank Gruber (L) and Ray Heimstra (R)
8. Extraordinary Environmental Leadership Award Awardee Felicia Marcus (R) with political committee member Garry Brown (L)
9. Great Turn Out at the Women's Club
10. Awardee State Senator Connie Veyva (R) with Assembly Member Eloise Reyes (L) who introduced her