Ready to go zero waste? Learn how at April 7 fair-expo
The Angeles Chapter Zero Waste Team on April 7 will be hosting an educational interactive Zero Waste Fair-Expo that will teach you how to get on the right path to cutting down on what you throw away.
Bring your family to this fun event at Grand Park in downtown L.A. Enjoy music, zero waste food, and meet organizations here in LA that are modeling what a zero-waste lifestyle looks like. The fair-expo runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 7 -- and it's free and open to all.
Learn how to choose products that can be recycled and ones that are bio-compatible and toxic free. Let’s revolutionize the throw-away society and demonstrate that we can re-use these items rather than pitching them into a landfill.
Here are some tips on how to get started. Learn more at the fair-expo.
• Switch to reusable bags and jars for shopping, and invest in a refillable water bottle.
• Get rid of disposables, such as single-use plastic bags, straws, containers, etc.
• Use your own containers / travel kit and pack your own lunch
• Recycle light bulbs, printer cartridges, batteries, etc.
• Compost food scraps, paper, etc. Switch to using items that are compostable.
• Be clever when you go shopping with reducing food waste in mind.
• Buy in bulk, preferably organic and especially local foods. Packaging is just more stuff to throw away.
• Replace things you use with waste-free products or make your own.
• Go digital and get rid of junk mail.
• Minimize, downsize and say no to unwanted stuff. Chances are it could wind up in a landfill.
Angelica Gonzalez is the Chapter's Conservation Program Manager.