We are the Palos Verdes-South Bay Group with the Angeles Chapter of the Sierra Club. Our group includes those members residing in Carson, Gardena, Harbor City, Hermosa Beach, Lawndale, Lomita, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes Peninsula, San Pedro, Torrance and Wilmington.
Bus and Air Trips:
May 25-28, 2013 Sat-Tue O: Zion & Bryce National Parks Bus Trip - FULL
Two pick up points, Redondo Beach & Orange County. Visit Utah’s most popular parks - Zion and Bryce. No overnight bus ride. Leave Sat. morning, return Tues evening. Stay all three nights in Springdale next to Zion.
Jun 15, 2013 Sat O: Palm Springs / San Jacinto Tram Outing - CANCELLED
One day of hiking in San Jacinto State Park and the San Bernardino National Forest. Leave Sat. morning 6:30AM from Redondo Beach or 7AM Orange in THE OC, return same day. Four levels of hikes with group size limited by permit:
- Hike 1: 14 mi, 2300’ gain to San Jacinto Peak (10,804), moderate fast pace
- Hike 2: 12 mi, 1500’ gain to Tahquitz Peak (8,846), moderate pace
- Hike 3: 10 mi, 1300’ gain to Hidden Lake and Wellman Divide, slow moderate pace
- Hike 4: 8 mi, 700’ gain to Hidden Lake and Willow Creek, slow pace.
Aug 8-11, 2013 Thu-Sun O: Mammoth-Yosemite Bus Trip
Would you like to hike through meadows of wild flowers, soak your feet in pristine alpine lakes, and feast your eyes on vistas of snow-capped granite peaks?
Find information on Palos Verdes-South Bay Group activities by visiting our Activities Calendar page.
Harwood Lodge was built in 1930 as a memorial to Aurelia S. Harwood, past president of the Sierra Club and Angeles Chapter leader. The lodge stands today as a place to get away from the city and enjoy the solitude of clear mountain air and blue skies.
The Purposes of the Sierra Club
- To explore, enjoy and protect the wild places of the earth
- To practice and promote the responsible use of the earth's ecosystem and resources
- To educate and enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment
- To use all lawful means to carry out these objectives