Effective 7/1/08: To lead an outing for the Angeles Chapter:
- First Aid Requirement (FAR) - A leader must have completed a qualifying
first aid course within the four years prior to the outing. CPR does not
satisfy the requirement. (A physician, nurse, or other currently practicing
medical professional need not take a basic first aid course if he or she
has first aid knowledge equivalent to or higher than American Red Cross
- Policy Update Requirement (PUR) - A leader must update their
knowledge of Club and Chapter Policy through completion of OLT 101
(or equivalent), within the four years prior to the outing,
along with an Angeles Chapter Supplement.
- There are several ways to satisfy this OLT 101 requirement. The
materials can be studied individually or as part of a group.
- Reading the OLT 101 text available at
and completing the OLT 101 Self Assessment available at
- Completing the OLT 101 Web based training at
- Group study is another mechanism to complete this requirement.
Teaching plans, powerpoint charts, and role playing ideas are
- Reading the Outing Leader Handbook (OLH) (revised 10/20/07) which is
available for download at
- Finally, reading the first five chapters of the latest edition
(currently the 17th Ed.) of the Leader's Reference Book (LRB) or attendance at one
the Angeles Chapter's Leadership Training seminars will satisfy the Policy Update
Requirement. The LRB can be viewed/downloaded at
LRB 17th Edition.
- The Angeles Chapter Supplement will document differences between
Angeles Chapter and National requirements and will cover material not
in the OLH (see below).
- Leader records update - When a leader completes a first aid course or
satisfies the Policy Update Requirement, the leader should
notify their Outings Chair
when they completed the requirement. Our tracking system requires knowledge
of the type of first aid course taken (i.e., whether standard or wilderness
first aid) and dates for FAR and PUR completion. Outings Chairs should
collect all inputs and send a periodic update of changes to the Chapter
database. Also, Outings Chairs should verify that the Chapter Leader List
indicates leader compliance with the requirements at the time of any
Other documents for OLT:
[top of page]