Location: San Bernardino County, California
Named by surveyor Don McLain for Leila Shields, who impressed him with her love of the outdoors, as well as her efficient and gracious management of Camp Radford, his base as he mapped the area around San Gorgonio (1920's). Located by Converse Creek and founded as a "public playground" by the City of Los Angeles (1917), it also briefly served as a CCC camp (1933-35).
Name first appears on USFS San Bernardino National Forest map (1959).
Peak was on the original 1946 HPS Peak List.
Weldon Heald climbed this peak in 1938.