Location: San Bernardino County, California
Named by Herb Leffler and Jim Chafee who operated the first basic ski facilities on Manker Flats (1944), and then (following the explosion of interest in skiing after W.W.II), built the first ski lift to their new facilities on Baldy Notch (1952). Evidently desiring an adventurous sounding name for this bump above their resort, they began referring to this spot by this name in the late 1940's. Despite protests that this summit had earlier been named after Aurelia Harwood by the Sierra Club (1930), the skiers won. A rope tow for skiers was built here (1952), followed by a lift (1960).
Called "Mount Harwood" on original HPS List.
Name first appears on USFS San Bernardino National Forest map (1959).
Name officially accepted by USBGN (1965).
Peak was on the original 1946 HPS Peak List.
Weldon Heald climbed this peak in 1935.