USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 19 miles southeast of Julian, 167 miles from Los Angeles, 55 miles from San Diego
- Auto Club: San Diego County
- Forest Service: Cleveland National Forest
- USGS Topo: Mount Laguna 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Garnet Mountain,
Monument Peak #1,
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 3.5 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 1000' total, 700' out plus 300' on return
- Time: 2-3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Bruce Collier, January 1967
DRIVING ROUTE 1
(I-8 and San Diego approach)
- Take I-8 east from San Diego to the Sunrise Highway (S1), about 40 miles
from the junction of I-8 and I-805.
- Go left (north) on S1 at the top of the off-ramp about 4
miles to Kitchen Creek Road (paved) on the right, milepost 20.7. Turn
- Continue another 1.5 miles to a gated dirt road on the right. Park in
the wide area to the left.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5560'), pass the gate and hike along a badly
eroded dirt road keeping left at a fork to where you find a private
property sign just short of a junction with Kitchen Creek Road.
- Leave the road on the left side and hike cross-country a short distance
until you meet Kitchen Creek Road where it exits the private property.
You are skirting around the left side of the private property.
- Turn left on Kitchen Creek Road and follow it a short distance to a gate
which is padlocked and posted Private Property - No Trespassing. Beyond
the gate, the road appears to cross the boundary between USFS and private
property several times although it is mostly on public land. All of the
ascent trail is on public land.
- Continue down the road another 1/4 mile to a wash on the right which
comes down on the east side of the peak. This wash is just north of the
prominent broad ridge coming down from the summit.
- Turn into this wash and follow a use trail up the wash. Soon this
clipped use trail leaves the wash and winds its way up the slope to the
summit. Use the clipped use trail to avoid the brush.