** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
("South" on USGS topos)
Location: Riverside County, about 4 miles east of Idyllwild, 112 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Riverside County, Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: Idyllwild 7½, San Jacinto Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Red Tahquitz, Antsell Rock
Printable version of this route
- Distance: 14 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 3100' total, 2200' out plus 900' on return
- Time: 7-8 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
Original: Paul A. Lipsohn, July 1974
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the Chevron station in Idyllwild, go northeast on North Circle
Drive 0.8 mile to South Circle Drive. Turn right.
- Go 0.1 mile to Fern Valley Road. Turn left.
- Go 1.8 miles following the yellow line to Humber Park. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- The Devils Slide Trail begins at the upper right corner of the
parking lot. From this trailhead (6440'), hike up the trail 2 1/2
miles to Saddle Junction (8040').
- At this point there are four
trail choices. Take the second trail from the right with a sign "Tahquitz
- Go 0.6 mile to another junction with a sign "Tahquitz,
Skunk Cabbage Meadow". Go right at this junction.
- Go another 0.6
mile to another junction signed "Tahquitz Peak, Tahquitz Meadow".
This is the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) marked by a square post.
- Turn left and
follow it along the north side of Red Tahquitz for about 3/4 mile to a
shallow saddle with a rock outcrop about 100 yards to the left (east).
There may be a duck on the right of the trail here. This is the turnoff
for Red Tahquitz.
- Continue on the trail past
elevations 7900' and 7640'+ and past the east side of Southwell Peak.
- About 1/4
mile from the last saddle at 7600'-, the trail starts downhill at a small
saddle with a rock outcrop on the right. At this point the slope on the
right side of the trail changes from steep rocks to a gentler slope. There
may be a duck here.
- Turn right, leave the trail and go up the slope to the summit.
Wilderness permits are required under all circumstances. Permits are
limited to 12 hikers. Permits may be obtained from the Idyllwild
Ranger Station just off SR 243 at 54270 Pine Crest Road. There is a
self-issue permit stand outside of the ranger station. The weekend
quota for the Devil's Slide Trail is usually filled in advance during
the summer months. Permits for the South Ridge Trail are much easier
to obtain. Permits may be obtained in advance from:
San Jacinto Ranger District
P.O. Box 518
Idyllwild, CA 92549
Voice: (909) 382-2921
Fax: (951) 659-2107
The HPS calls this peak Southwell Peak for Jesse M. Southwell
who was the ranger at Tahquitz Peak Lookout from
1946 to 1967. When the Forest Service proposed this name, the U.S. Board
on Geographic Names turned it down since Jesse was still alive. The name
may formally remain South Peak.
The route from Red Tahquitz to Southwell Peak,
Antsell Rock, and Apache Peak
has been made rather easy with the construction of the PCT.
Before this trail existed, the HPS called this route the Sam Fink
Trail. Early HPS member R. Sam Fink marked the route with metal trail
markers along the spine of the ridge. It involved much class 2 and some
class 3 climbing.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved