** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: Riverside County, about 4 miles northeast of Idyllwild, 112 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Riverside County, Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: San Jacinto Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Tahquitz Peak (LO),Southwell Peak ("South" on USGS topo), Lily Rock
Printable version of this route
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 2400'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Paul A. Lipsohn, July 1974
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive I-10 to Banning. Exit at 8th Street (SR 243). Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.2 mile, turn left.
- At 0.7 mile, turn right on San Gorgonio Avenue.
- At 1.4 miles, keep left on SR 243.
- At 25.0 miles, Idyllwild Ranger Station (San Bernardino National
Forest) on the left. Turn left on Pine Crest Avenue. Note your odometer
and go as follows:
- At 0.6 mile, intersection. Make a half right on South Circle Drive.
- At 0.7 mile, Fern Valley Drive on the left with a sign "Humber
Park". Turn left.
- At 1.2 miles, fork. Keep left.
- At 2.2 miles, trailhead on the left. This is the climber's trail for
Suicide Rock. Keep straight.
- At. 2.6 miles, Humber Park. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- The Devils Slide Trail begins at the upper right corner of the
- From this trailhead (6440'), hike up the
trail 2 1/2
miles to Saddle Junction (8040'). At this point there are four
Take the second trail from the right with a sign "Tahquitz
- Go 0.6 mile to another junction with a sign "Tahquitz,
Skunk Cabbage Meadow". Go right at this junction.
- Go another 0.6
mile to another junction signed "Tahquitz Peak, Tahquitz Meadow".
This is the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) marked by a square post.
- Turn left and
follow it along the north side of Red Tahquitz for about 3/4 mile to a
shallow saddle with a rock outcrop about 100 yards to the left (east).
There may be a duck on the right of the trail here.
- Turn right and follow
a use trail south-southeast up the slope to the summit.
Wilderness permits are required under all circumstances. Permits are
limited to 12 hikers. Permits may be obtained from the Idyllwild
Ranger Station just off SR 243 at 54270 Pine Crest Road. There is a
self-issue permit stand outside of the ranger station. The weekend
quota for the Devil's Slide Trail is usually filled in advance during
the summer months. Permits for the South Ridge Trail are much easier
to obtain. Permits may be obtained in advance from:
San Jacinto Ranger District
P.O. Box 518
Idyllwild, CA 92549
Voice: (909) 382-2921
Fax: (951) 659-2107
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved