USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 8 miles west of Palm Springs, 112 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Riverside County
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: San Jacinto Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Folly Peak, Cornell Peak, Jean Peak, San Jacinto Peak
- Distance: 9 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 2000'
- Time: 6-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 3, moderate
Original: Charlie Knapke, July 1993
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the junction with SR 111.
- Take SR 111 southeast 8.5 miles to the Palm Springs Tramway Road.
- Go up this road 3.7 miles to its end at the tramway terminal. Park
where indicated by the signs in this area.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- Take the tram (fee
required) to the upper station at 8560'.
- Go downstairs and exit the building. Follow the concrete sidewalk as it
descends to the valley below.
- Continue straight ahead to a ranger station.
- Continue about 1/4 mile to a trail junction with a sign "Round
Valley - 2".
- Keep right and continue to Round Valley Campground.
- Keep left here at a junction and continue up to Wellman Divide
- Keep left at this junction and follow the trail southwest (downhill)
through some switchbacks about 1/2 mile to Wellman Cienega.
- Leave the trail on
the right and hike cross-country up to the saddle northeast of Marion
- Turn left (south) and go up to the summit block. This is on the
west end of the ridge.
- To climb the summit block, start at an upright dead
tree on the northeast side. Go up a crack for about 10'. Turn right
for another 10'. Turn left into another crack that leads to the