USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 8 miles west of Palm Springs, 112 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Riverside County
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: San Jacinto Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: San Jacinto Peak, Folly Peak, Jean Peak, Marion Mountain, Drury Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 16 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 4600' total, 3900' out plus 700' on return
- Time: 8-10 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Route: Summit area has moderate exposure on good rock
Original: George Wysup, August 2000
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive to Idyllwild.
- From the Chevron Station in Idyllwild, go northeast on North Circle
Drive for 0.8 mile to South Circle Drive. Turn right.
- Go 0.1 mile to Fern Valley Road. Turn left.
- Go 1.8 miles to the loop at the end of the road in Humber Park. Park
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From Humber Park (6480'), hike up the Devils Slide Trail to Saddle
Junction at 8080'. This is a multiple trail junction.
- Take the far left
trail and continue up to Wellman Divide.
- Take trail downhill to the right
(east) to Round Valley.
- Keep right and continue 2 miles to the
water station spigot at the main trail junction in Round Valley
- Continue north past this trail junction for 1/2 mile to
- Upon reaching a trail junction at the Tamarack Valley
sign, follow the trail on the left and hike north through the campsites
onto the steep slopes of the peak visible straight ahead.
- Aim slightly to
the right of the apparent summit area, passing rock barriers generally on
their east side until you discern the main ridgeline ahead.
- When you reach
the ridge, turn left (west) toward the summit and scramble to the base of
the summit block on its east side. Here is a foot wide chimney with a
chock stone wedged in it about 10' up. The register should be located
at the base of the chimney.