USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 8 miles west of Palm Springs, 112 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Riverside County
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: San Jacinto Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Folly Peak, Cornell Peak, Jean Peak, Marion Mountain
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 2400'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the junction with SR 111.
- Take SR 111 southeast 8.5 miles to the Palm Springs Tramway Road.
- Go up this road 3.7 miles to its end at the tramway terminal. Park
where indicated by the signs in this area.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- Take the tram (fee
required) to the upper station at 8560'.
- Go downstairs and exit the building. Follow the concrete sidewalk as it
descends to the valley below.
- Continue straight ahead to a ranger station.
- Continue about 1/4 mile to a trail junction with a sign "Round
Valley - 2". Keep right and continue to Round Valley Campground.
left here at a junction and continue up to Wellman Divide (9700').
right at this junction and continue up to a junction at a saddle just
below the peak.
- Turn right and follow a trail up to the peak. You will
pass a stone cabin on this last segment of trail. The peak register can
usually be found in this cabin.
Temperatures are 30-40 °s
cooler on the peak than on the valley floor. Please dress accordingly.