** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: Riverside County, about 11 miles west of Palm Springs, 107 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Riverside County, San Jacinto Mountain Area
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: Lake Fulmor 7½, San Jacinto Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Black Mountain #1 (LO)
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 4 1/2 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 900'
- Time: 2 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Al Campbell, June 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive I-10 to Banning. Exit at 8th Street (SR 243). Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.2 mile, turn left.
- At 0.7 mile, turn right on San Gorgonio Avenue.
- At 1.4 miles, keep left on SR 243.
- At 9.1 miles, Poppet Flat Road goes right. Continue straight.
- At 11.6 miles, fork with 4S06 on the right. Keep straight.
- At 11.8 miles, pass the Vista Grande Ranger Station.
- At 12.8 miles, fork on the left with 2E05 and a sign "Black
Mountain Trail". Keep straight.
- At 15.6 miles, fork on the right with 2E35, Indian Mountain Road, and
This is the turnoff for Indian Mountain.
- At 16.9 miles, 4S01 on the left. Turn left. Note your odometer
and go as follows:
- At 1.5 miles, fork. Keep left.
- At 4.8 miles, fork with Black Mountain Road on the left. This is the
turnoff for Black Mountain #1 (LO).
Keep straight on 4S01.
- At 5.8 miles, Black Mountain Group Camp on the right.
- At 7.2 miles, fork. Turn sharp right.
- Continue a short distance to a parking lot for the Fuller Ridge
Trailhead of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the trailhead, hike east up the PCT about a mile along the north
side of the ridge to where a saddle appears off to the right (8040'+).
- Continue on the PCT another 0.6 mile to a point about 50' past
the second of the first two switchbacks on the trail (not counting a
detour around a fallen tree), where there should be a duck on the right
side of the trail.
- Leave the trail here and go up the slope, keeping
somewhat to the right to follow occasional ducks, to the summit.
Wilderness permits are required under all circumstances. Permits are
limited to 12 hikers. Permits may be obtained from the Idyllwild
Ranger Station just off SR 243 at 54270 Pine Crest Road. There is a
self-issue permit stand outside of the ranger station. Permits may be
obtained in advance from:
San Jacinto Ranger District
P.O. Box 518
Idyllwild, CA 92549
Voice: (909) 382-2921
Fax: (951) 659-2107
Peak 8462', 1 mile west-northwest, was listed as Castle Rocks
until the new San Jacinto 7½ topo fixed its present location.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved