** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: San Bernardino County, about 12 miles southeast of Big Bear Lake, 105 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: Onyx Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 2 1/4 miles round trip on road
- Gain: 230'
- Time: 1 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Bob Cates, April 1977
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart
Bar Campground, on the right. Keep straight.
- Continue 6.0 miles farther to Onyx Summit (8443'). Turn right on a
- Turn left at an immediate fork, and continue 2.0 miles to a fork.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (8780'), hike up the right fork past a gate and up
to the summit.
The mountain and the road summit were named for an old onyx mine located
on the desert side in Pipes Canyon.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved