** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: San Bernardino County, about 40 miles northeast of San Bernardino, 142 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- USGS Topo: Bighorn Canyon 7½, Rattlesnake Canyon 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Bighorn Mountains
Printable version of this route
- Distance: 4 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 2-3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: John Backus, January 1974
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east through Banning to SR 62.
- Go north and east on SR 62 to SR 247 in Yucca Valley. Go left
- Drive 11.5 miles to the New Dixie Mine Road. Turn left. Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 8.0 miles, fork. Go either way as the roads rejoin after 1/4
- At 8.6 miles, fork. Go straight.
- At 9.2 miles, fork. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5320'), hike southwest up the road about 500'
to a fork.
- Go right at this fork and hike about 1/2 mile, going through
a junction to the end of the road at a burned out cabin site.
up the jeep road southwest towards the peak. The peak is in view as a
rounded summit with a smaller one to its left (south).
- Leave the road
wherever convenient and hike directly up to the summit.
Meeks Mountain and the land surrounding it is private property and the
owners request that their privacy be respected by using only the
existing published route coming in from the North side and to please
not enter or exit from the South, West, or East sides.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved