** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: San Bernardino County, about 5 miles northeast of Fawnskin, 106 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: Fawnskin 7½
explanation of usage
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 3 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 800'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Dick Akawie, November 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to I-215.
- Drive north on I-215 to SR 210.
- Drive east on SR 210 to SR 330.
- Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
- Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR
- Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin.
- Continue east on SR 38 for 2.0 miles to Polique Canyon Road (Holcomb
Valley turnoff). Turn left (north). Note your odometer and go as
- At 1.5 miles, T intersection with 2N71 to the left. Go right
- At 2.0 miles, a gated road on the right.
- At 3.9 miles, junction with 3N16. Turn right (east).
- At 4.3 miles, fork. This is the turnoff for Gold
Mountain. Turn left (northeast) on 3N07.
- At 4.8 miles, fork. Go past 3N23 and shortly thereafter turn left on 3N43.
- At 5.4 miles, the road goes down through a wash. Park just before the
The roads in this area are confusing. Suggest you consult the latest
Forest Service and HPS maps.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (7550'), hike east up a gully that passes just
south of elevation 7685', and on up to the summit, which is the most
southeasterly point on the ridge.
The terrain and vegetation on the mountain make it possible to climb
Arctic from many different directions.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved