USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 6 miles west of the town of Big Bear Lake, 87 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: Butler Peak 7½, Keller Peak 7½
explanation of usage
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 2 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Carleton Shay
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive east on I-10 to SR 210.
- Drive north on SR 210 (signed "West") to SR 330.
- Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
- Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR 38.
- Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin. Turn left (northwest) on 3N14.
Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.3 miles, fork with 2N13 to the left and 3N14 to the right. Go
- At 2.4 miles, fork with 2N70 on the left. This is the turnoff for
Grays Peak. Keep right.
- At 3.9 miles, fork. This is the turnoff for Butler
Peak (LO). Keep right.
- Continue about 4 miles farther to the saddle just southeast of
West Point. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (7360'), hike southeast on an old road to where
- Hike southeast up the slope keeping left to avoid brush, to
the summit plateau, meeting a road just north of the peak in a
- From there follow a ducked trail south up to the summit.