** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: San Bernardino County, about 13 miles east-southeast of Hesperia, 99 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: Butler Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Luna Mountain, Round Mountain
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 1 1/2 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 500'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Al Campbell, November 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 and north on I-15 to the Hesperia turnoff.
- Go east on Main Street in Hesperia for 7.2 miles to the "Y" junction of
Rock Springs Road (on the left) and Arrowhead Lake Road (the main
road continuing on the right).
Turn left (east) on Rock Springs Road. Note your odometer and go as
- At 2.9 miles, Kiowa Way on the left. Continue straight as Rock
Springs Road becomes Roundup Way.
- At 5.9 miles, pavement ends. Continue east.
- At 7.3 miles, intersection with the Bowen Ranch Road. Turn
- At 8.2 miles, fork. Keep left.
- At 9.4 miles, junction with Coxey Truck Trail (3N14), turn left. This
is the turnoff
for Round Mountain and one of
the Luna Mountain routes. Note your odometer again and
go as follows:
- Drive 4.4 miles, pass through a gate.
- At 4.9 miles, park in a large parking area on the right.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5720'), hike up the jeep trail on the left
(east), to a flat area.
- Then go east across this to the ridge visible
- Go to the top of the ridge, then right and follow the ridge to the
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved