** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: San Bernardino County, about 13 miles north-northwest of San Bernardino, 86 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area
- Forest Service: San Bernardino National Forest
- USGS Topo: Cajon 7½
Route(s) using National Geographic Topo! software
JPG version (approximately 1.6 megs)
Nearby Peaks: Sugarpine Mountain,
Monument Peak #2
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 3 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 500' total, 400' out plus 100' on return
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Paul A. Lipsohn, 1974
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to I-15, then north on I-15 to SR 138. Turn right
- Go 8.0 miles to the junction with SR 173 on the left near Lake
Silverwood. Keep straight on SR 138.
- Drive another 2.6 miles and exit on Cleghorn Road (2N49). This is also
the main entrance to Lake Silverwood. At the bottom of the off-ramp,
turn right on 2N49. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.8 mile, pavement ends.
- At 2.4 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 4.0 miles, Cleghorn Pass and a hairpin turn at two water tanks.
- At 6.3 miles, Cajon Lookout road fork on the right. Park here. (The
gate is sometimes open, but there is no way to confirm this in
advance.) Adequate parking.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5000'), hike west down the road past the
saddle at 4645' and continue about 1/2 mile before reaching
a shallow saddle 1/4 mile west of the
- Go up the use trail that
starts here and leads east though the brush to the summit.
The lookout and radio facility location is not the summit.
The brush can be very dense if not groomed.
The dirt roads are seasonal.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved