USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 8 miles north of Upland, 45 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Cucamonga Peak 7½, Mt Baldy 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Etiwanda Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 14 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 4200'
- Time: 8-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, May 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take the 210 freeway east to Baseline Road exit in the City of Claremont.
Turn left (west) at the bottom of the off-ramp onto Baseline Road.
- Almost immediately, take the first right (north) onto Padua Ave.
- Go 1.8 miles north on Padua to the intersection with Mount Baldy Rd.
Turn right (northeast).
- Take this road northeast and then north about seven miles to Mt. Baldy Village.
- Continue another two and a half miles
(through Baldy Village) to a fork at Icehouse Canyon.
- Go a short distance to a parking lot. Park here.
Note: There is a good parking lot for ridesharing in this area.
To get there, after turning west on Baseline Road, continue past
Padua Avenue a short distance to Mills Avenue. Turn north on Mills,
and continue to Mt. Baldy Road. The parking lot is at the northeast
corner of this intersection.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5000'), trail 7W07 starts just to the right of
the old Icehouse Lodge foundation.
- Hike up this trail about 3/4 mile to
a trail junction with the Chapman Trail.
- Continue straight up the canyon
past Columbine Spring to another junction with the Chapman Trail.
right and follow the trail up to Icehouse Saddle. It is also possible to
take the Chapman Trail. It adds about 1 1/2 miles to Icehouse Saddle.
- Take trail 7W04 which goes southeast toward Cucamonga Peak.
- Follow it
along the east side of Bighorn Peak,
through a saddle, and up switchbacks.
- At the top of the switchbacks there is a trail junction with a
Peak". Take the trail to the right up to the summit.
Cucamonga Peak is in the Cucamonga
Wilderness. A permit is required.
Applications are available on the trail just past the Icehouse Canyon Trailhead. Fill it and drop in the box, or
contact the USFS Mt. Baldy Schoolhouse Visitor
Center in Mt. Baldy Village at (909) 982-2829 (8:00 am to 4:30 pm).
A permit can be obtained in advancy be writing to:
San Gabriel River Ranger District
Angeles National Forest
110 North Wabash Avenue
Glendora, CA 91741