USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 12 miles north of Upland, 45 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Mount San Antonio 7½, Telegraph Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Thunder Mountain, Telegraph Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 3300'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, March 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take the 210 freeway east to Baseline Road exit in the City of Claremont.
Turn left (west) at the bottom of the off-ramp onto Baseline Road.
- Almost immediately, take the first right (north) onto Padua Ave.
- Go 1.8 miles north on Padua to the intersection with Mount Baldy Rd.
Turn right (northeast).
- Take this road northeast and then north about seven miles to Mt. Baldy Village.
- Continue another two and a half miles
(through Baldy Village) to a fork at Icehouse Canyon.
- Go a short distance to a parking lot. Park here.
Note: There is a good parking lot for ridesharing in this area.
To get there, after turning west on Baseline Road, continue past
Padua Avenue a short distance to Mills Avenue. Turn north on Mills,
and continue to Mt. Baldy Road. The parking lot is at the northeast
corner of this intersection.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5000'), trail 7W07 starts just to the right of
an old building foundation. Hike up this trail about 3/4 mile to a
trail junction with the Chapman Trail.
- Continue straight up the canyon
past Columbine Spring to another junction with the Chapman Trail.
right and follow the trail up to Icehouse Saddle. It is also possible to
take the Chapman Trail. It adds about 1 1/2 miles the hike to Icehouse
Saddle. There are a number of trails at the saddle.
- Take the first one to
the left and follow it about a mile to where it crosses a ridge on the
west side of Timber Mountain.
- Leave the trail (there may be a duck) and
hike east up the ridge to the summit.