USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 10 miles north of Upland, 45 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Mt Baldy 7½, Cucamonga Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Ontario Peak, Bighorn Peak
From Ontario Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 2 miles one way cross-country
- Gain: 200' plus 2000' of loss (descending to the trailhead
at Icehouse Canyon requires an additional
2000' of loss)
- Time: 1 hour one way
- Rating: Class 2, strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, July 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take the 210 freeway east to Baseline Road exit in the City of Claremont.
Turn left (west) at the bottom of the off-ramp onto Baseline Road.
- Almost immediately, take the first right (north) onto Padua Ave.
- Go 1.8 miles north on Padua to the intersection with Mount Baldy Rd.
Turn right (northeast).
- Take this road northeast and then north about seven miles to Mt. Baldy Village.
- Continue another two and a half miles
(through Baldy Village) to a fork at Icehouse Canyon.
- Go a short distance to a parking lot. Park here.
Note: There is a good parking lot for ridesharing in this area.
To get there, after turning west on Baseline Road, continue past
Padua Avenue a short distance to Mills Avenue. Turn north on Mills,
and continue to Mt. Baldy Road. The parking lot is at the northeast
corner of this intersection.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- See the Ontario Peak guide.
- From the summit of
Ontario Peak, retrace your route to the very next
rock outcropping. Continue another 50' and turn left down the hill
picking up a ridge, which goes down to the saddle southeast of Sugarloaf
- Go through the saddle and follow the ridge to the peak
passing a false bump on the left.
- To descend Falling Rock Canyon, follow
the reverse of Route 1 back to the parking lot.