USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 15 miles north-northeast of Glendora, 56 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Crystal Lake 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Mount Hawkins, Throop Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 9 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 3450' total, 1850' out plus 1600' on return
- Time: 6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
Original: Bill T. Russell, December 1992
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2), go north on Angeles Crest Highway
for 41.6 miles to a parking area on the right just before a gated dirt
road at mile marker 66.37. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (7240'), note 3 gullies on the south side of the
highway. The large center gully has a vertical culvert pipe at the bottom.
On the left side of the gully there is an obvious use trail.
- Hike up this
use trail, bearing about 210° 1/4 mile to Windy Gap (7588').
- Continue east on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) for 1.5 miles
farther to saddle 8400', where
a trail forks to the south. This is the turnoff for
Middle Hawkins and South Mount
- Take the left (east) fork, the PCT, up past bump
8800'+ and on to where the trail arrives on the ridge northeast of the
summit. Here there is a fork to the southwest along the ridge. This is the
turnoff for Throop Peak.
- Turn right and follow
this trail up to the summit of Mount Hawkins.
here, hike southeast down the slope, picking up a use trail which descends
the ridge. Follow it down to about 8350' where the ridge splits.
- Take the
right ridge (southeast) and continue following the use trail down to a
shallow saddle at 7400'- and up about 150' to the summit.