USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 15 miles north-northeast of Glendora, 56 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Crystal Lake 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Mount Islip, South Mount Hawkins (LO), Middle Hawkins, Throop Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 6 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 1600'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: George Wysup, September 2000
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive 41.6 miles on Angeles Crest Highway to a parking area on the right
at mile marker 66.37. Park here (UTM 240006).
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (7260'), note the large center gully on the south
side of the highway with a vertical culvert pipe at the bottom. On the
left side of the gully there is an obvious use trail that ascends steeply
up the slope.
- Hike up this use trail, bearing about 210°, 1/4
mile to Windy Gap (7588').
- Continue east on the PCT for 1.4 miles
farther to saddle 8400', where a trail forks to the south. This is the
turnoff for Middle Hawkins and
South Mount Hawkins (LO).
- Take the left (east)
fork, the PCT, up past bump 8800'+ and on to where the trail arrives on
the ridge northeast of the summit. Here there is a fork heading southwest
along the ridge. This is the turnoff for Throop Peak.
- Turn right and follow this trail up to the summit.