** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: Los Angeles County, about 17 miles north of Azusa, 48 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Waterman Mountain 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Winston Peak, Mount Akawie
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 5 miles round trip on trail and use trail
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: John Backus, July 1985
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station. Keep straight.
- Continue 19 miles to the signed Cloudburst Summit. Park at a locked
gate on the left (north).
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (7018'), pass the locked gate and hike northeast
down the road, the Pacific Crest Trail
(PCT), to about 6700' where an old road goes to the left (not
shown on the topo).
- Go left on this road and follow it to the saddle south
of elevation 6903'.
- Pass around either side of 6903' to the saddle just north
of it. (There are use trails on both sides. The right side follows the
PCT for a short distance but the PCT drops off into Cooper Canyon on the
right. The trail workers have obliterated part of the use trail normally
used by the HPS. It is easier to follow the use trail on the left side of
- From the saddle north of 6903', follow an obvious use trail northwest
up to the summit.
Winston Ridge can be combined with Winston Peak.
From Winston Peak, descend northeast to the saddle
south of elevation 6903'. Continue as in Route 1.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved