** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: Los Angeles County, about 16 miles north of Azusa, 48 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Waterman Mountain 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Winston Ridge, Mount Akawie
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 1 1/4 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 500'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, February 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station. Keep straight.
- Continue 19 miles to the signed Cloudburst Summit. Park at a locked
gate on the left (north).
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (7018'), hike northwest up the hill following a
dirt road. It gains the ridge and continues west.
- Leave it here
and follow the ridge north up to the summit.
Winston Peak can be combined with Winston
Ridge. Ascend from the saddle south of elevation 6903'.
The peak is named for L.C. Winston, a Pasadena banker who died in a
blizzard on a hunting trip in the mountains in 1900. He was found on
nearby Winston Ridge.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved