USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 19 miles southeast of Gorman, 70 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Los Angeles and Vicinity
- Forest Service: Angeles National Forest
- USGS Topo: Liebre Mountain 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Burnt Peak, Sawtooth Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: 7 miles round trip
- Gain: 1850'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus and Al Campbell, 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-5 north to SR 138.
- Go 4 miles east on SR 138 to a paved road signed as Old Ridge Route Road, which is the beginning of Los Angeles County Road N2. Turn right.
- Go 2.2 miles east to Pine Canyon Road (which is a continuation of N2). Turn left.
- Go 4.2 miles east on N2 passing mile marker 13.6.
right onto dirt road.
- Go 0.1 mile on dirt road to end and park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (3960'), the southbound Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) goes right
(west) past a sign 50' up the trail. Follow the PCT as it goes south
and up Liebre Mountain to the broad summit area.
- Once in the broad summit area, hike roughly 0.4 mile on relatively
level ground, watching for a flimsy fence a few yards off the trail to
the right. Pass through the fence to a jeep track beyond.
- The summit cairn is in the grove of trees to the right (west) of the
jeep track, about 50 yards past the fence.