USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Santa Barbara County, about 8 miles west-southwest of New Cuyama, 175 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Santa Barbara County
- Forest Service: Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts
- USGS Topo: Peak Mountain 7½, Bates Canyon 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Peak Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass required)
- Distance: None
- Gain: None
- Time: None
- Rating: Drive-up
- Navigation: None
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Drive north on I-5 past the Grapevine, to the SR 166 off-ramp.
Turn left (west).
- Follow SR 166 about 46 miles to the town of New Cuyama. New Cuyama
may also be reached by a shorter but slower route by driving north from
Ventura through Ojai on SR 33, and then west on SR 166.
- From New Cuyama, go west 12.8 miles to the Cottonwood Canyon Road
(11N01). Turn left, note your odometer, and go as follows:
- At 4.9 miles, fork. Go left. The road narrows here.
- At 6.5 miles, White Oak Ranger Station and Campground. Keep straight.
- At 6.8 miles, the pavement ends at a gate with a sign "Bates
- At 12.7 miles, junction with Sierra Madre Road. Turn left (east).
- At 17.5 miles, a saddle with a wide parking area on left. This is the
trailhead for Peak Mountain.
- At 20.6 miles, the summit of McPherson Peak.