USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 16 miles north of Mojave, 120 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- USGS Topos: Cross Mountain 7½, Cinco 7½
Route(s) using National Geographic Topo! software
Nearby Peaks: Chuckwalla Mountain
- Distance: 7 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 2500'
- Time: 5-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
Original: John Backus, March 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave, drive north on SR 14 for 19.5 miles to Jawbone Canyon
Road on the left. Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 4.1 miles, pavement ends.
- At 6.3 miles, fork with a gated road to the left. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (2700'), hike past the gate (you may
need to climb over the gate) for 1.6 miles,
passing a fork left at 0.4 mile and some wrecked cars at 1.0 mile to a
second fork to the left (south) at 2876'.
- Turn left. The road starts up a
wash and then immediately turns and goes up a ridge. Follow the road to
its end at a large boulder.
- Then turn left and go up to the top of the
ridge to the shallow saddle at 4300'.
- Turn right and go up the
ridge, keeping right to avoid some of the scree.
- Continue on to the summit.
This route was temporarily withdrawn due to an access restriction
(LA DWP is buidling a huge windfarm) that we've been told has been
lifted. Do not hike into the windfarm itself.