** Use at Your Own Risk **
Location: Kern County, about 27 miles north of Mojave, 140 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- USGS Topo: Pinyon Mtn 7½
explanation of usage
Printable version of this route
- Distance: 3 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1800'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: John Backus, March 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave, drive north on SR 14 for 19.5 miles to Jawbone Canyon
Road on the left. Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 4.1 miles, pavement ends.
- At 6.3 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 11.9 miles, fork to the right. Keep straight.
- At 13.8 miles, the road turns west and goes over a saddle.
- At 15.1 miles, the road goes over another saddle. This is Hoffman
Summit, the parking spot for Butterbredt Peak.
- At 18.1 miles, fork. Keep right.
- At 18.4 miles, fork. Turn right.
- At 23.7 miles, the pavement begins again.
- At 24.9 miles, dirt road SC123 goes sharply to the right. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4358'), hike east straight up the slope, going
to the right (south) of the two rocky outcrops to the summit.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2005 - All Rights Reserved