USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 45 miles north of Mojave,
140 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Sequoia National Forest
- USGS Topo: Owens Peak 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Backus Peak (see Backus Peak Route 2 for joint hiking instructions.)
- Distance: 6 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 2700'
- Time: 4-5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Access: Do not park past the Wilderness boundary signs.
Original: Byron Prinzmetal, April 1999
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take SR 14 to Mojave.
- Continue north on SR 14 to the intersection with SR 178 (Freeman
- Go west on SR 178 4.7 miles to a dirt road on the north side of
the highway. Park here. Unlimited parking space. Obscure mileage marker
reads 83.50. If you are coming from the west, it is 3.7 miles from
Walker Pass summit to the parking location.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area walk north on the dirt road to Walker Well.
Continue north until you meet a ridge coming down to the road on your
right (east side of road.)
- Leave the road and walk north up the ridge and
pass on the right the class 2/3 rocks that make up the south side of
- When you reach the saddle, turn left and proceed up to the