** Use at Your Own Risk **
Location: Kern County, about 5 miles north of Wofford Heights, 175 miles from Los Angeles
- Auto Club: Kern County
- Forest Service: Sequoia National Forest
- USGS Topo: Alta Sierra 7½
explanation of usage
Nearby Peaks: Split Mountain,
Bohna Peak, Sunday Peak,
Printable version of this route
- Distance: 3 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1200'
- Time: 2-2 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Navigation: Intermediate
Original: Cliff Black, October 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
rideshare point go north on I-5 to SR 99.
- Go north 24.5 miles on SR 99 to SR 58.
- Go east 7.1 miles on SR 58 to Weedpatch Highway (SR 184).
- Go 4.3 miles north on SR 184 to SR 178. Please note:
SR 184 goes right (east) at a stop sign 1.7 miles from SR 58.
- Go 33.5 miles east on SR 178 to the intersection of SR 178
and SR 155. This road is scenic as it follows the Kern River, but
is very winding.
- Alternatively, you can reach the intersection of SR 178 and
SR 155 from Walker Pass (please refer to your AAA map). This route
is about 20 miles longer from Sylmar, but the road is not as winding
and those traveling from the east might find it shorter.
- From the intersection of SR 178 and SR 155 in the town of Lake
Isabella, go north on SR 155 for 7.0 miles to where SR 155 turns left in
the town of Wofford Heights. Turn left.
- Go uphill on SR 155 for 7.7 miles to Greenhorn Summit. This is the
turnoff for Bohna Peak. Turn right onto
24S15 (dirt). Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.2 miles, a fork to the right. Turn right on 25S16.
- At 2.8 miles, a fork at a saddle. This is Black mountain Saddle. Park
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From Black Mountain Saddle (6234'), hike east up a track until it soon
- Continue directly east uphill until you get to the ridge that
descends the north side of the peak.
- Turn right (south) and continue up
the ridge to several rock piles near the summit. The peak is the
southernmost rock pile.
Black Mountain #5 can be combined with Split Mountain
as a loop trip. Use the route given here for Black Mountain #5 and Route 2
for Split Mountain. Return via Route 1 for Split
The drive from Sylmar is about 2.5 hours.
Many groups climb all of the peaks in the area in a two day trip.
They usually do Bohna and Sunday
the first day, and
Split and Black the second day.
There are many good car camping spots (e.g. Black Mountain Saddle) and
motels in Wofford Heights and Kernville.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.
Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© 1998-2003 - All Rights Reserved