Whale Peak
Nay to the Naysayers

February 7, 2009

By: Ted Lubeshkoff


Leaders: Ted Lubeshkoff, Patrick Vaughn

After people found out that there was a 70% chance of rain in the Whale Peak area, I had participants emailing and calling to cancel for my trip on Saturday, February 7th. Where was their calcified HPS will and determination? Even one of my co-leaders, Wayne Bannister cancelled, mumbling something about him "coming down with something". Likely story. So, Pat Vaughn, Bruce Craig, Gary Bowan, Amin Faraday (from San Diego), and myself decided to go to the trailhead anyway. If it was raining at the trailhead, we would cancel. We started hiking at 9:30 a.m. with no rain. What did the 70% chance of rain amount to? About one hour of light drizzle and dry snow flurries. Then, intermittent clouds and sun. We were on the peak at 1:30 p.m. and back to the car at 4:30 p.m., 7 hours just like the peak guide said. Throughout the day I heard our group describe the day, and the views, as spectacular, magnificent, glorious, special, not to be missed. Hiking through the desert with snow flurries was an incredible expedience. I am glad that I listened to my intuition and drove to the trailhead before canceling and I am grateful that everyone who went trusted my judgment. It was a very special day, indeed.


HPS Archives Index | Hundred Peaks Section

Hundred Peaks Section, Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
© Copyright 1998-2003 - All Right Reserved
Updated 11-March-2009